Connect with us


Huskies Fall to Rhode Island

Huskies Fall to Rhode Island


STORRS, Conn. – The UConn men’s soccer team fell to Rhode Island on Friday night at Morrone Stadium. The Huskies fall to 1-1 on the season, while URI improves to 2-1.

The Huskies began the game with plenty of pressure, creating a few chances after good buildup play, but could not register a shot on goal. In the eighth minute, freshman Giancarlo Vaccaro danced around the defense to create space, but his shot went wide, UConn’s first real chance of the game.

The Rams opened the scoring as Isak Oystese scored a header off a free kick in the 13th minute. The Huskies responded with more pressure, winning a free kick just outside the box. Sophomore Moussa Wade’s free kick rattled off the crossbar and bounced to freshman Bjorn Nikolajewski, whose header was cleared off the goal line by the Rhode Island defense.

UConn had another great chance in the 29th minute, as junior Ahdan Tait whipped in a cross from the left wing, but freshman Okem Chime’s effort was stopped. The Huskies continued to possess the ball and build an attack but lacked a finishing touch in the first half. Jahmali Waite made a big save of the game in the 41st minute, tipping a Rhode Island long range effort over the bar. In the 44th minute, sophomore Jayden Reid dribbled to create space and took a curling effort that was saved, another high-quality chance for the Huskies. The half would end with Rhode Island ahead 1-0.


The second half got off to a chippy start, with the intensity continuing to pick up every minute. UConn’s first big chance of the half came in the 62nd minute, when freshman Maxwel De-Bodene had his close-range effort blocked by the Rhode Island defense.

UConn continued to possess the ball and build forward but could not create a high-quality chance on goal. Following a corner in the 76th minute, Maxwel De-Bodene had another chance with a shot from just outside the box that went over the bar.

Following a direct free kick in the 79th minute, the ball bounced around in the URI box before senior Dom Laws saw his point-blank effort stopped, UConn’s best chance of the game. Just two minutes later, freshman Okem Chime’s close-range header was also denied by the Rhode Island goalkeeper.

In the 85th minute, UConn would hit the frame once again. Moussa Wade’s direct free kick from the left side bent around the goalkeeper but hit the post and stayed out. That would be the Huskies’ closest chance of the half.

Up Next


UConn is back at Morrone Stadium on Saturday, September 11th as Monmouth comes to Storrs. Kickoff is slated for 7:00pm.


Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *